Friday, June 13, 2008

Love

After 21 years of marriage, I discovered a new way of
keeping alive the spark of love. A little while ago I
had started to go out with another woman. It was
really my wife's idea.
 
"I know that you love her," she said one day, taking
me by surprise. "But I love YOU," I protested. "I
know, but you also love her." The other woman that my
wife wanted me to visit was my mother, who has been a
widow for 19 years, but the demands of my work and my
three children had made it possible to visit her only
occasionally.
 
That night I called to invite her to go out for dinner
and a movie. "What's wrong, are you well?" she asked.
My mother is the type of woman who suspects that a
late night call or a surprise invitation is a sign of
bad news. "I thought that it would be pleasant to pass
some time with you," I responded. " Just the two of
us."
 
She thought about it for a moment then said "I would
like that very much." That Friday after work, as I
drove over to pick her up I was a bit nervous. When I
arrived at her house, I noticed that she, too, seemed
to be nervous about our date. She waited in the door
with her coat on.
 
She had curled her hair and was wearing the dress that
she had worn to celebrate her last wedding
anniversary. She smiled from a face that
was as radiant as an angel's. "I told my friends that
I was going to go out with my son, and they were
impressed," she said, as she got into the car. "They
can't wait to hear about our meeting". We went to a
restaurant that, although not elegant, was very nice
and cozy. My mother took my arm as if she were the
First Lady.
 
After we sat down, I had to read the menu to her. Her
eyes could only read large print. Half way through the
entree, I lifted my eyes and saw Mom sitting there
staring at me.
 
A nostalgic smile was on her lips. "It was I who used
to have to read the menu when you were small," she
said. "Then it's time for you to relax and let me
return the favor," I responded.
 
During the dinner we had an agreeable conversation,
nothing extraordinary - but catching up on recent
events of each others lives. We talked so much that we
missed the movie.
 
As we arrived at her house later, she said "I'll go
out with you again, but only if you let me invite
you". I agreed. "How was your dinner date?" asked my
wife when I got home. "Very nice. Much more so than I
could have imagined," I answered.
 
A few days later my mother died of a massive heart
attack. It happened so suddenly that I didn't have a
chance to do anything for her.
 
Some time later I received an envelope with a copy of
a restaurant receipt from the same place mother and I
had dined.
 
An attached note said: "I paid this bill in advance. I
was almost sure that I couldn't be there but,
nevertheless, I paid for two plates - one for you and
the other for your wife. You will never know what that
night meant to me. I love you."
 
At that moment I understood the importance of saying,
in time: "I LOVE YOU" and giving our loved ones the
time that they deserve.
 
Nothing in life is more important than God and your
family and friends.
 
Give them the time they deserve, because these things
cannot be put off 'till "some other time".
 
Someone once said "I've learned that, regardless of
your relationship with your parents, you'll miss them
when they're gone from your life.
 
I think this is true with your in-laws, grandchildren,
sisters, brothers and your friends. Anyone that means
something to you-you should spend time with them and
let them know how much they mean to you as often as
you can.
 
Please pass this along to your friends and family.
Touch their hearts. It has touched mine. I am glad
that you are my friend.

No comments: